As the start of the year approaches, I would like to welcome our new students and welcome back our returning students. The summer has been short but I am sure it was full of fun and adventures.
I am excited to be starting my second year at Cascade. As a school community, we made great gains in changing the climate and culture of our building and creating a safer and more respectful environment. This year, we will continue this work to make Cascade the shining star of Southwest Washington. Cascade will also continue to make literacy our number one academic focus in all classes.
Some important dates are approaching:
Monday, August 28
On August 28, our teachers will be visiting the following places to say hello to our students and their families. We will be bringing ice cream to share with all.
- 1:20 – 1:50 p.m. – Victoria Freeman Park. The bus will stop on 9th Ave between Douglas and Delaware.
- 2:10 – 2:40 p.m. – Archie Anderson Park. The bus will stop near the corner of 21st and Alabama.
- 2:55 – 3:20 p.m. – The upper-parking lot of Cascade for those that live near the school.
Please come and say hello and enjoy an ice cream.
Tuesday, August 29
- 10:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. – 6th grade orientation (6th grade students only)
- 5:00 – 7:00 p.m. – Cascade Open House (Parents and students)
Please take time to see the school and meet our staff and teachers. Students can pick up their schedules at that time.
Wednesday, August 30
7:50 a.m. – 2:20 p.m. – First day of school.
- 6th graders report to the downstairs commons.
- 7th graders report to the upstairs commons.
- 8th graders can report to the courtyard or the upstairs commons.
Phones are not to be used during the school day for any purpose. They need to be turned off and stored.
Our dress code as seen in our student handbook is below. Please encourage your student to follow the dress code.
Students’ appearance shall be clean, neat, safe, appropriate, and shall not disrupt the educational process. Students at Cascade whose appearance, grooming, and or apparel is not suitable shall be given an opportunity to make appropriate corrections (Cascade has suitable clothing on a loan basis). If the student refuses, the principal shall notify the parents, if reasonably possible, and request that person to make the necessary correction. If both the parent and the student refuse, the principal shall take appropriate disciplinary action.
The following will be adhered to while attending Cascade Middle School:
• All clothing must extend one inch beyond the student’s fingertips when arms are held directly at their side.
• All articles of clothing, which have straps over the shoulder, must be at least one-inch-wide and cover all undergarments.
• All clothing must cover the midriff, buttocks, and breasts. Underwear of any type should not be visible.
• Holes in pants must be below a student’s fingertips when arms are held directly at their side.
• Pajama tops or bottoms are not allowed.
• Hats and head coverings such as bandana are not allowed during the school day. Please remove them before entering the building. On repeated requests, hats will be confiscated and can be picked up after school.
• All students must wear some type of shoes or sandals. Slippers are not appropriate.
• Attire is not allowed that promotes gangs, drugs, alcohol, profanity, racism, slander, or intimidation.
The final determination of appropriate attire in each building is the responsibility of the administration. Repeated violations by a student could result in disciplinary action in accordance with the District’s Disciplinary Code.
We look forward to seeing our Cavaliers and having a great 2017-2018 school year!