Welcome to Middle School
Welcome Class of 2025! Home of the Cavaliers!
Middle school is sort of a big deal. Things will be different (usually in a good way).
Blah, blah, blah. You’ve heard all this before. So why should you listen to me? Because I’ve lived it! As an 8th grader, I can give you tips and information to help make your move to Cascade much easier.
On this page you’ll find expert advice on how to:
- Go with the Flow
- Be Cool, Calm, and Organized
- Get Off to a Good Start
- Navigate the Social Scene
Expert Advice #4 – Navigate the Social Scene
I’m not going to lie. The social scene in middle school can be crazy. To begin with, your class no longer rules the building—and it can be hard being the youngest grade in the school again. There is also more drama in middle school.
But the good news is—you’ll do fine with the whole social scene if you don’t take it to seriously and you make smart choices.
Friendships: We’ve already talked about the changes you’ll face in middle school. Along with everything else, people can change too. Some of your old friends may get a “too cool for you” attitude. Or you may find that you get along better with some of the new kids you meet.
Here’s some expert advice on making new friends and avoiding the drama.
- Find friends who have the same interest as you do, and who like you for who you are.
- Social media like Facebook, Instagram, and SNAPCHAT can be fun, but it can also cause hurt feelings: PAUSE BEFORE YOU POST.
- Joining a group like a sports team, band, or club is a good way to meet new people— and make new friends.
And now a word from your counselor…
Throughout this page you’ve gotten tips and advice from students—and they have given you some excellent advice. But you know us adults, we always have to add our two cents.
So here are a few words of advice from a middle school counselor’s point of view.
- We know that most new middle school students are concerned about finding their way, fitting in, and having friends, but…don’t forget about your classes. Getting off to a good start in your classes is really important.
- If you have a question or problem, get help. If you’re having a problem in class, talk to your teacher. If you ever have a problem and don’t know who to talk to, see your counselor. Of course, if you have any concerns or problems, be sure to also let a parent know.
- Middle school is a time to explore who you are. Be bold. Try new things— try a music class, try out for a team, join a club.
Middle school will be an exciting adventure for you. Follow the advice in this book, and you are sure to have a fun and successful year!
Cascade Cavaliers follow the 4 B’s
- Be Respectful
- Be Responsible
- Be Safe
- Be a Learner
Other Important Information
- There is 4 minutes passing time between classes.
- You will get your schedule at the 6th grade orientation on August 29th, 2017, the day before the first day of school.
- Wednesdays are early release days. The schedule will vary slightly on Wednesdays and school will get out at 1:20.